Monday, July 16, 2007

Good or Bad?


Okay I have to admit that there are really a lot of things that I don't know about. A LOT!! One thing that I have never learned is how to detect a good cantaloupe or watermelon. I have bought my share of really bad fruits. Now I obviously know not to buy it if it is mushy but beyond the "mushy meter" I just can't tell. I was at the store the other day and I saw a woman thump a cantaloupe. I watched closely as I thought this might be the day I find out the secrets to good fruit inspection. She thumped it with her fingers. I waited and saw her thump a few more than she carefully picked up the "Chosen" one. I still did not know what made that one better than the rest but I thought I would give it a try. After she walked away I scanned the area to make sure no one was around and I began thumping the canteloupes. Guess what? Nothing happened. I heard nothing, I saw nothing but any one that may have viewed my escapade would not have been the wiser. Because I thumped and nothing thumped back I decided I had the right one. Bought it went home and it was bad. I guess I will continue to seek out the answer to fruit inspection but I know one who is an expert on that and that is our Lord. When he thumps me I quickly know what is inside and so does everyone else. Do I complain and have a pitty party? Do I run to my phone rather than the throne? Or do I quietly tell the Lord that I will endure all that he has for me knowing that it will grow me closer to him and accept the trial gracefully. I am thinking about all of these answers and I would have to say that mostly I complain.
Forgive me Father. I know my inside doesn't always match my outside. I pray that next time you are doing "fruit inspections" I will "pass" and be worthy of a "Well done good and faithful servant."
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience. kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Galatians 6:22-23
Blessings

7 comments:

Justabeachkat said...

Linda

I love this post! What a great lesson for us all. I too strive to be a good and faithful servant. I want to be judged "good" by our Lord and Savior. I think this is one of your best post. Great job.

Hugs!
Kat

Sandy McTier Designs said...

Ditto what Kat said! This post HIT HOME! So well spoken! Have a blessed day. Love ya sis.

Michelle said...

thanks for visiting and for the birthday wishes for my daughter!

Believer said...

"I know my inside doesn't always match my outside. I pray that next time you are doing fruit inspections I will pass."

Amen! Thanks for being so real.

Heavenly Voice

The Price's Wife said...

Hey! Thanks for your comment... You have a darling family... How did your oldest boy do at soccer camp?? I'd love an update!

Christine said...

Great post! And my aunt gave me a great way to determine if a cantaloupe is ripe- press gently with your thumbs on the outer edge of the circle where the stem was. If it gives slightly it's ripe but not overripe!

J. Ross said...

How beautifully written! When our heart is in the right place it should be reflected throughout our entire being.

I know the cantaloupe thumping secret, but it takes experience. If you've never listened to one before it would be hard to tell about it. You're listening for a dull hollow sound when you thump.